With prom just around the corner, it will soon be time to shop for that perfect prom dress. Of course, you want to look your best on your prom night. Let us help you choose the best dress for you by sharing 3 ways to choose the color of your dress as per your skin tone. Armed with this information, you can then view the full collection on teranicouture.com.
- Choose a color based on your skin’s surface tone.
Determine what your surface tone is.
- Light – If your surface tone is ivory or light, without freckles, pastels are a great option for you.
- Medium – Earth tones and metallic shades are perfect for medium surface tones.
- Dark – If you have a dark surface tone you will want to avoid black colored dresses. Bright and bold colors are great for you, however, and will pop against your surface tone.
- Choose a color based on your skin’s undertone
Determine what your undertone is.
There are three basic undertones to skin: warm, cool, and neutral. The undertone of your skin is a little more difficult to determine than the surface tone. But there are several ways in which you can do this.
- Look at your veins. If the veins on your wrist have a blueish color, you probably have cool undertones. If your veins have a green color, you probably have warm undertones.
- Look at your eyes. You likely have cool undertones to your skin if you have green, blue, or gray eyes. Alternately, you likely have warm undertones to your skin if you have brown, amber, or hazel eyes.
- Look at your jewelry. Typically, people with cool undertones look better in silver jewelry while people with warm undertones look better in gold jewelry. Try on some of both and see which looks better on you. Based on these little tests you should be able to determine your skin’s undertone. If you get mixed results you likely have a neutral undertone.
If you find you have warm undertones, warm colors will look best on you. Earth tones, including yellows, reds, and browns, fall into this category. You will want to stay away from jewel tones.
- Choose a color based on what you like.
Sometimes the best option is to simply go with what is most flattering to you or what you like. There are times, when certain colors look good on you irrespective of the skin tone and undertone rules.
Is there a color that dominates your closet? If so, it’s a safe bet that this color is flattering on you. Especially if you receive compliments, when you wear this color
Get others’ opinions
Bring a friend or relative with you while you shop. Ask their opinion. Ask the salesperson’s opinion. Even better, if you have the guts ask a strangers opinion. They will have no vested interest and you are more likely to get a truly unbiased opinion.
Try on a wide variety of dresses
Try dresses in different colors and styles. This is a great way to find what looks best on you. Try on things you normally wouldn’t, colors you are usually afraid to try. There might be a reason you tend towards certain colors, the reason being they look best on you. But you just might find a color that looks great on you.